About the Future...

Find NPCs in major towns and cities.

Moderators: PiDion, sheavi

PiDion

Re: About the Future...

Post by PiDion » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:03 am

Andy wrote:You disabled the localization handling at your WowAce page?
My project at curseforge has a localization tab but AMC at WowAce not.
How do you manage the localization?
The Localisation tab is there, but it is not set to be used since i don't have the time to set all npc strings there ;)

we are handling it this way: we edit directly the amc_language.lua in the localisation folder. When someone is helping he edit straight to the svn or he send a mail with his edited lua straight to me an i set it on the svn. I't was up to now the easiest way in my oppinion.
2016 a Star Reborn...

Andy

Post by Andy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:28 am

OK.

I will use the localization function, because now npc's, signs, and comments to it can be changed independently in-game. So the database structure is not fixed anymore. Everyone can make the changes at its own client with its own locale.
Using the curse locale handling allow easily to merge the changes of all editors, and you have a direct link to the changes for your language. So you don't need to check all locale if you changed the database.

And putting the strings into the curseforge localization is only one step per localization field.

I only have to try out, how to include 7 different localization fields, so that all is well separated.

Andy

arith

Post by arith » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:18 am

Hi Andy, I have some projects on CurseForge and also WoWAce, some of them do use the website localization feature, while some are not.
I do hear some translators said the prefer to to the translation in a text base mode, means they can have the enUS file and the translate it offline. Once done, they will send the file to the addon author, or commit to SVN.
IMHO, the web base localization feature may not always be that easier for all the translator. But maybe it's good when there are multiple translators for one single language. And I agree it's easier to track if there is a new phrase being added recently.
Anyway I don't think this is a big deal.
I also told to PiDion to hold off migrating the localization to the web page mode, since for now our database has some text concatenation as I try to externalize the NPC description to be handled by library.

What I am mostly concerned is, would you like to join the AMC team, or would you like to create your own addon?
Either way is fine, actually.
Scenario 1: You join the AMC team
Then I would suggest we create a SVN branch, and you can upload your codes to that branch. And we can discuss how to merge the codes and how to enhance some features. At the end, we should have a conclusion and the branch will be matured enough to be moved back to the main trunk. At this point, we can release a new version to public.
And in this scenario, PiDion is still the project lead, although I know he is quite open for most of the opinions and ideas, but still we need him to make the final decision. In another word, he is the boss.

Scenario 2: You create another addon project
Like I mentioned, it's fine if you would like to create a new addon with any proper name you like, "AtlasMajorCities_Modded", "AtlasMajorCities Enhanced", "AtlasMajorCities - Andy's version"..... but you just can't use "AtlasMajorCities".
I feel that you got many good ideas and is enthusiastic to contribute on this addon, it's a good thing to you and for sure to the players once you share your work to public. So I see no reason to stop you, not to mention to blame you for any thing. But I just get confused for you thought, you willing.

Till now I still have no clue where to find you codes so I really can judge anything. But if you only want PiDion to be able to see your codes, then it's fine for me. Though I just can't judge how good your work is.

So, what's the next step for both of you and the AMC team you may propose?

Andy

Post by Andy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:38 pm

As first step I want to create a separate project at curseforge. So I have it all together, and you can install and test it.
Nothing against one of you, but I made bad experiance with giving datas to someone, without a proof whats mine.
After that, lets find a mutual basis. If we find one, we can merge the two projects.

My concept let no space for the handling of NPC descriptions by a library, because the NPC descriptions are in-game a part of the NPC name and not separate. You get always automatically the NPC description, if you get the NPC name.

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:33 pm

So, I setup the project at curseforge:
http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/atlasm ... -enhanced/
Have a look at it, and try it out.

I would like to add a tooltip to the labels, and maybe a menu for the modifications. But in the moment I have no time. My addon HoloFriends need my attention.

Andymon

Here follows a short howto.

Commands:

/amc [help / reload / revert / copydbtouser / on / all / pos / sign / npc / off]
copydbtouser - copy all the DBs to the user space, overwrite all changes made - the internal DB can now be modified by the user
reload - load the user DB to Atlas
revert - load the internal DB to Atlas
on - activate the default editing mode which allow all renamings
(/amcz (renaming only), /amca, /amct, /amcc, sign, NPC)
all - activate all changes
pos - activate all changes, exept sign, and NPC (no first person mode)
sign - activate the scanning of signs and NPCs (/amcc, sign, NPC)
npc - activate the scanning of NPCs only (no first person mode)
off - deactivate scanning mode (now you can leave the first person view)

/amcz [{zone name} / delete]
Create the DB entry for the actual zone and set the continent, city, and zone name.
The name of the city is displayed at the pull-down menu of atlas, and forms from the city name itself, the city faction, and the race of a char in the target, if any.
Default is to uses the name displayed over the minimap as zone name, but you can also give {zone name} manually.
The option delete remove the zone name.

/amca [none]
Activate the shop at the actual label position for modifications.
You optional give "none" to define the "no position" shop (see below).

/amcp [none / delete / nonedelete]
Setup a new shop at the actual position, and ask for a label for it. The label is shown at the map, right at your actual position. So, check your position at the map if the label would be right there, because the map is not always identical to the minimap.
If there already exist a shop at your position, you only move the label to your actual position.
You optional give "none" to create the "no position" shop (see below).
With "delete" you remove the active shop. Check that you assigned the right shop with /amca.
With "nonedelete" you remove the "no position" shop (see below).

/amcl [{label}]
Change the label of the active shop. Activate the shop with /amca or /amcp.
If {label} is not given, a popup window will open.

/amcs
Add the empty shop sign at the actual position to the active shop. Use /amca to activate the shop at the label position. The name from the sign is set separately (see below). Shop signs are identified by the position on the map.

/amct [{shop comment}]
Set or change the comment to a shop. Shop titles from shop signs are shown between "*" in the list, Shop comments are enclosed in "." to separate and identify them.
If {shop comment} is not given, a popup window will open. This popup window is filled with the old shop comment, the tooltip text, or the minimap title.

/amcc [{NPC comment}]
Set a comment to a NPC, displayed in brackets behind the NPC in the list.
If {NPC comment} is not given, a popup window will open. This popup window is filled with the old NPC comment.

mouse over sign and CTRL+Shift
To get the text from a shop sign, move the mouse over the sign and press CTRL+Shift. You have to activate a appropriate scan mode with /amc.
The map is subdivided into a grid, to define the position of the signs. If the sign is located near the border of such a grid cell, a part of it is not at the right position, and not identified as the right sign. So, if the shop sign is not find, try to move the mouse to the other side of the sign. Signs are also only scanned up to a special distance, so you have to go near the sign. Some time it helps also to change your angle to the sign, because signs are not symmetric.

mouse over NPC target frame
To add a NPC to a shop, activate a shop with /amca or /amcp, take the NPC in target and move the mouse over the target window. You have to activate a appropriate scan mode with /amc. I the NPC is already assigned to a shop, only its name is refreshed.
If you are in the npc-mode (setup with /amc), you refresh only the description of an already assigned NPC, i.e. for localization.

Explanations:

To all actions a status message is displayed at the chat window.

The "no position" shop is a shop with no defined position. Its used to show NPCs at the list, which have no fixed position to show a label, i.e. the NPC walk around. The label shown at list defaults to "-", if no label is set.

If a shop has only a label, but no description and NPCs, it is not shown at the list. This way the letter box is labeled (with the predefined label "@").

The slash-commands are also included in the key bindings, so you can assign a key to every function. But to use an option the slash command is needed.

The option strings can be loclalized in AtlasMajorCities_loc.lua.

Why the first person mode: To identify the signs at its position, the first person mode is needed, because it is not possible anymore to get the data of the player camera. One only get the viewing angle of the player and the display position of the mouse. In the first person mode it is still possible to get the position, where the mouse points to, to identify the sign at the mouse position.

PiDion

Post by PiDion » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:33 am

So I'm back at home and over the weekend i test your amc Andy :)
2016 a Star Reborn...

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:40 am

Have fun. :)

I thought about the conversion of zhCN and zhTW to the new DB format and think there is an easy way with a shell script at Linux. I could try it, if you interested.

Andy

arith

Post by arith » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:14 pm

that would be great

Andy

Post by Andy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:49 am

If I do so, I would like to add you and others interested to the project page. Please, post a list of the curse member names, or should I add all 4 members of the AMC project?
Andy

PiDion

Post by PiDion » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:35 am

the only one who are on the addon are me (S1nless) and arith, yeachan has done nothing in the last couple of months and LittleMerlin is only on the page cause hae has helped a little with the german translation (it was mostly email contact) so it would be only me and arith.
2016 a Star Reborn...

PiDion

Post by PiDion » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:18 am

Nice Job Andy, i could test it only a little bit due the heat here (Heißes Plaster Deutschland xD) and due the Problems my Internet Provider has. It Looks nice but theres one thing i don't like. The confusing style of the NPC List. Maybe it is something, that could be easy solved but i wish me more clarity. We use various colors to get some order in the List, it would be great if this can be used in your version of amc. I see no problems to merge our 2 Projects, maybe arith sees something that has to be done before, but i think it would work out.
2016 a Star Reborn...

arith

Post by arith » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:09 am

I do have tested it for a short time but since the translation for zhTW is not available, there isn't quite much for me to test.
I have not yet worked out the way to do NPC scanning, might need to spend some more time to read the readme....

But I will focus on my addon for a while.

Andy

Post by Andy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:21 pm

I prepared a new release:

- There the converted list of NPCs and shop signs for zhCN and zhTW is included.
- I removed the old AMC database file, which is not needed anymore, with all locale converted.
- The images are replaced by dummies, because not displayed anymore, but Atlas need images to be there.

@ PiDion: For me the list has a different color for all the regions at the map. The color of the labels at the map and in the list is the same. I changed the colors a little from AMC1.5a, so that it shows well at the map. But the regions are colored similar to AMC1.5a. I don't know, if you changed something in the last version of AMC, because I don't try it out. But, to make the color table more robust, I added brackets in the revision r10. I hope, its now also colored for you. ;)

@ arith: Not all locale strings could be related in the conversion of zhCN and zhTW, because the english locale has some misses. I started with german, and I've seen, that I missed some english strings. I have to check the english version again, if I have time.
I related only NPCs and shop signs for zhCN and zhTW, so comments need to be setup again. Because of no clear separation of comments in the old DB, for the moment comments are partly included in the NPC or shop description. If you change a NPC or sign by click, this will vanish. In the new DB comments are stored separately.

@ both: How to copy changes to the localization at the project page:
- Because, the first step to modify something is to make a copy of the DB to the user space (/amc copydbtouser), the DB with the different data fields with all changes is in the file .\WTF\Account\{your name}\SavedVariables\AtlasMajorCitiesEnhanced.lua
- The included field "AtlasMajorCities_DB" is the basic database. If you add ore remove something, it must be copied to the file AtlasMajorCities_db.lua and submitted to the repository. In this case, also the corresponding english phrases (localization) at the project page need to be added ore removed.
- All the other fields have a corresponding name in the namespace of the localization. So, go to "Localization" -> "Import" and choose the corresponding namespase at the pull-down menu. The format is "Standard lua dictionary-style table". In the data section you have to copy the whole field, including the braces, but without the field name and equal sign. Do it for all fields, if you changed a lot. But in most cases only "AtlasMajorCities_Shop", "AtlasMajorCities_Title", "AtlasMajorCities_NPC", and "AtlasMajorCities_Comment" need a copy.

I.e. to include the changed zone list:
Namespace:
AtlasMajorCities_Zone0
Format:
Standard lua dictionary-style table
Data:
{
["Dalaran1_-Zone1"] = "Krasus' Landing",
["Dalaran1_-Zone2"] = "Runeweaver Square",
["Dalaran1_-Zone3"] = "The Eventide",
}
The translation of the "AtlasMajorCities_Title" or "AtlasMajorCities_Comment" flields is probably done fastest directly inside the file .\WTF\Account\{your name}\SavedVariables\AtlasMajorCitiesEnhanced.lua, because most strings recur there often, and copy/past is the method.

Hope, this introduction helps with your tests.

Andy

PiDion

Post by PiDion » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:40 am

Andy wrote: @ PiDion: For me the list has a different color for all the regions at the map. The color of the labels at the map and in the list is the same. I changed the colors a little from AMC1.5a, so that it shows well at the map. But the regions are colored similar to AMC1.5a. I don't know, if you changed something in the last version of AMC, because I don't try it out. But, to make the color table more robust, I added brackets in the revision r10. I hope, its now also colored for you. ;)
Maybe my Notebook has some display errors, cause i had tested it on it, i test ist now, "if" the loginserver comes back online -_-
2016 a Star Reborn...

PiDion

Post by PiDion » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:04 am

I have thought of some things, and i came to the conclusion, that, "if" we merge our Projects, maybe we should wait until Cataclysm and than release a AtlasMajorCities 2, cause i have other things to do at the moment and you have your other addon which need you :) in my oppinion its the Right time then and we have time to think over if some problems occure, and maybe someone of us get a beta invite (Last year i had 5 of them :P ) :)

greetings
Pidion
2016 a Star Reborn...