Atlas resets all settings with every new version

Having trouble installing or using Atlas?
Doll

Atlas resets all settings with every new version

Post by Doll » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:20 am

This is something that's been happening for as long as I can remember but it finally got to me, I think. Must be all the tea I consume.. they changed something and it's made me crankier. =E

Anyway, what happens is that with each and every install of Atlas, the minimap button position resets along with every other setting Atlas has.. the scaling of the main ui, transparency settings, whether or not to sort by continent or level.. and I did delete every savedvariables file I could find at one point and this still happened. So what am I doing wrong? Is this happening to anyone else? Is this by design?

EDIT: Btw, this new board kicks all kinds of butt. It's been a while but I don't remember it being as smooth or as swift. d('-'d)

Dan Gilbert
Developer

Re: Atlas resets all settings with every new version

Post by Dan Gilbert » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:17 pm

It's by design. Currently each new version checks your variables, and if they're associated with an old version, it re-creates them. This is nice when a new setting needs to be added, because it prevents an error in that case. I agree, it's not the most elegant way. There should probably at lease be a flag to mark when something's been added, so otherwise it'll keep the old settings, and at best it should migrate the old settings over. That being said, Atlas doesn't have many settings, and I think it takes under 2 minutes to fully configure it, so it's never felt like an urgent thing.

Daviesh

Post by Daviesh » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:00 am

A word of caution with migrating variables. They cause a lot of bloat to the mod. Most of my extremely long AtlasLoot start up sequence are migration scripts for different source versions of the mod.

Stewart

Post by Stewart » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:43 pm

Dan Gilbert wrote: I agree, it's not the most elegant way.
Its actually the 3rd most annoying thing in the world.

It goes something along the lines of

1. People who sell gold or beg for it
2. People who wipe raids because they have no idea what they're doing
3. Addons that don't save their settings properly.

Almost every other addon out there can handle it, why can't you?

Daviesh

Post by Daviesh » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:16 am

Stewart wrote:Almost every other addon out there can handle it, why can't you?
I would ask a couple of questions.

1) Wasn't this dealt with in 1.15.1?

v1.15.1:
- fix for deDE (German) translation
- updated version check for some Atlas addons
- settings will now be preserved between some updates

2) Why necro a thread from a year ago?

Dan Gilbert
Developer

Post by Dan Gilbert » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:06 am

Atlas should currently retain settings between every update, unless the structure has been changed and it specifically needs to wipe them.

Jeehell

Post by Jeehell » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:42 am

My settings are kept correctly, but I have noticed one thing... I have 1 of the options that is being reset once in a while... Not a biggie... I sometimes lose the option to show the coordinates of the world map. I only have to tick it back again. I haven't been able to find a pattern to this behavior. Nothing to worry about, but just wanted to mention it. Everything else is being kept correctly between sessions and versions.

Jeehell

Dan Gilbert
Developer

Post by Dan Gilbert » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:00 pm

When that happens, do you need to click the setting twice, like it's getting "out of sync" with the state of the coords? Or does the setting (and state) actually change on their own (requiring only one click to re-enable)?

Jeehell

Post by Jeehell » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:20 am

Only one click is enough... and everything is back to normal... I'm wondering if this would be an addon conflict... But since I never know when it will happens or know a way to trigger it manually I can't check it effectively...

As I said, it's not a big thing.... It takes only 4 clicks of the mouse to fix it. (a big 3 or 4 seconds on my time).... Nothing to worry about... I posted it more to see if someone would come up and say that they have experienced something similar... If I come up with something more solid to work on, I'll let you know...

Jeehell