Instance-Timer

Ideas for the future of Atlas.
Pelf

Re: Instance-Timer

Post by Pelf » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:36 pm

This is, of course, purely anecdotal; but, I've been on a SV run that lasted less than an hour and I've spent over 4.5 hours slogging through people who haven't a clue what they're doing whilst I do internal battle with my conscience as a tank.

This sort of thing is so full of incredible possibility for variation that it seems like any attempt to estimate this would fall short somewhere. If you rely on addons to record and average, it's only as good as the sample of the population that uses it (see warcraftrealms' census addon and its shortcomings). If you rely on forum posts ... well, how many people know this forum exists and how many post here? I have like ... what ... 50 posts? And I'm something like #15 in the # of posts descending list.

If we had access to statistical data from Blizzard ... (/me gazes wistfully at the heavens.) ... but alas that's been proven to not be a possibility.

As another example I was in a group for BM where me (the tank) and a mage were the only ones in the group who had done it before. The priest, the hunter and the lock had not. I explained it in very great detail to everyone and had a long discussion via tells with the priest ... but I was still pretty doubtful.

I was wrong, somehow. We blew through every portal, blew through Temporus and his healing debuff and only wiped once on Aeonus with the shield at 100% and plenty of time to get back for another try. My ill-conceived PUG managed to do the instance faster than a guild run that was going on in parallel.

Wonders never cease ... and data is inconsistent :).

EDIT: 39 posts. :?
Image Image Image Image Image

Dan Gilbert
Developer

Post by Dan Gilbert » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:49 pm

I've been thinking about this too...it might be a poor idea, but I thought the discussion was worth having. I think there is some merit to "30-40 minutes" or "2-3 hours" kinds of tags, and they'd be appropriate for an average group, not including wipes, arguments, etc. I dunno...no one's even posted in the new forum yet, so I think it might be a lost cause anyway... :roll:

Nihlo

Post by Nihlo » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:08 pm

I think foreign data is useless...if you are in big guild and you don't have any rnd-groups you've got short runs and if you're in smal guilds you have got longer runs. Also the runs become shorter if you get raid-equip while other people never raid. I think just a ingame plugin wich collects your personal data makes any sense in combination with atlas.

Just imagine the posts in the forum..."you wrote 2-3hours but it had been 4 and I couldn't leave my group and now I lost my girlfriend and my guild kicked me and and"...
[color=red]Dan Gilbert[/color] wrote:you're my hero Nihlo

seriously
Sum quod credo

Dan Gilbert
Developer

Post by Dan Gilbert » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:05 pm

Nihlo wrote:Just imagine the posts in the forum..."you wrote 2-3hours but it had been 4 and I couldn't leave my group and now I lost my girlfriend and my guild kicked me and and"...
That would be pretty funny...

Nihlo

Post by Nihlo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:18 am

hmm...dunno
[color=red]Dan Gilbert[/color] wrote:you're my hero Nihlo

seriously
Sum quod credo

Pelf

Post by Pelf » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:29 pm

Dan Gilbert wrote:
Nihlo wrote:Just imagine the posts in the forum..."you wrote 2-3hours but it had been 4 and I couldn't leave my group and now I lost my girlfriend and my guild kicked me and and"...
That would be pretty funny...
I am somehow reminded of the warnings on hairdryers like "Do not use while bathing." and the like.

Prequel:
"But I thought I could save time if I started drying my hair while I was showering."
Image Image Image Image Image