WoW 4.2 Dungeon Journal

Talk about anything you want to.
arith

WoW 4.2 Dungeon Journal

Post by arith » Sun May 22, 2011 12:55 pm

WoW 4.2 will have a new feature called Dungeon Journal.
Some information can be found here: http://www.wowwiki.com/Encounter_Journal

Q: What is the Dungeon Journal?
A: The Dungeon Journal is a new piece of UI in World of Warcraft that players can use to find out more about specific dungeons, and the bosses within those dungeons, including what abilities they have and the rewards they offer.

Q: How will I access it?
A: While in a dungeon, hitting "M" (the default key for Map) will open the Dungeon Journal. A new button will also be available in the navigation tray. The Dungeon Journal can be accessed from anywhere - in a dungeon, in a raid, on a boat, etc.

Q: Will I have to experience a dungeon or encounter in order to see the associated Dungeon Journal content?
A: There won’t be any "gating" or limitations placed on what content a player can see in the Dungeon Journal. All boss/dungeon/raid information will be available to all players regardless of level, gear, or content experience.

Q: What will it show me?
A: The dungeon/raid map will display the locations of each boss in their respective locations, marked by unique icons.

Players can access boss information by clicking on boss icons on the map, or by clicking on the boss’ name in the associated tab of the dungeon/raid map page.

General loot information for the dungeon/raid can also be accessed from the dungeon/raid main page by clicking on the Loot tab. This will show all loot dropped - from bosses and trash - in the instance, of a certain quality.
Boss abilities will be available via the boss’ page, either by clicking on the map or by going through the Dungeon tab. The Dungeon tab on the boss’ page will list out all major spells, abilities, and phases for that fight.

Q: Are the descriptions going to be simplified or detailed?
A: Descriptions will be verbose and complete. Our goal is to give a lot of context to the abilities in terms of how they’ll play out; however, we will not be giving any strategy tips in the Dungeon Journal. For example, while the Dungeon Journal might say something like "This ability will cause all players in the affected area to take damage," it won’t say anything explicit like "All players except the tank should stand behind the boss during his Shield phase."

Q: Will this include adds?
A: Yes. If a boss has adds, like Ascendant Council or Erudaxx, their abilities will be listed, too.

Q: What bosses will be included in 4.2?
A: That's still being determined. We want to include as many as possible and add more as we go along. We'll provide additional information on availability as we progress through the Public Test Realm process.
Dungeon Journal.png
Dungeon Journal.png (483.88 KiB) Viewed 12289 times
Dungeon Journal 2.png
Dungeon Journal 2.png (481.56 KiB) Viewed 12289 times
Dungeon Journal 3.png
Dungeon Journal 3.png (597.86 KiB) Viewed 12289 times
Dungeon Journal 4.png
Dungeon Journal 4.png (569.14 KiB) Viewed 12289 times

arith

Re: WoW 4.2 Dungeon Journal

Post by arith » Sun May 22, 2011 1:00 pm

So....that is how the boss loot will be implemented.

Hegarol

Post by Hegarol » Mon May 23, 2011 4:03 pm

arith wrote:So....that is how the boss loot will be implemented.
Yeah, its actually a joke.^^ I can't see anyone replacing AtlasLoot with the DJ, even if they only need dungeon loot.
Atlasloot Project Lead ; Atlasloot Forum

arith

Post by arith » Tue May 24, 2011 12:28 am

I would say if viewing from BZ point of view, the current design of Dungeon Journal seems to be OK.
It has the dungeon's basic introduction, the background history.
And for each boss's spells, techniques, etc.
And finally the item-drops.
For now it lacks of map info in dungeon journal. One must enter the dungeon then is able to view the map.
So Atlas is still not replaceable since we provide the ability to view each dungeon at anytime.

For the looting one, I think AtlasLoot still provide more info than dungeon journal.

One idea, can we somehow integrate AtlasLoot into Dungeon Journal, like the way it integrate with Atlas? Says, to add some linking buttons so that when a player is viewing Dungeon Journal, s/he can also quickly jump to AtlasLoot to see more info.
Well, this can be discussed in AtlasLoot forum.

As for Atlas, I do have some thought that maybe we can retrieve the boss info and display within Atlas, it can be pop-up while player hover the mouse to boss' location.
But I don't think I have that time to implement it.
If anyone is interested in it, maybe start with a new Atlas plugin.

Hegarol

Post by Hegarol » Tue May 24, 2011 2:22 am

Yes we are working on some ideas about hooking up AL and DJ.

Btw. wowwiki.com is outdated you should use wowpedia.org instead.
Atlasloot Project Lead ; Atlasloot Forum

Nihlo

Post by Nihlo » Tue May 24, 2011 7:11 am

Need a small Wishlist Addon for the Journal and I will remove Atlasloot^^

What really would be cool for Atlas 20.0.0 are the locations of the partymembers in the maps, autogenerated maps and clickable Bosses which could link to Atlasloot or Journal.
Guess there is noone with enough skill and time around. The Journal is another stone on the Atlasgrave if there won't be new features for month.
Atlasloot will live a little bit longer.
[color=red]Dan Gilbert[/color] wrote:you're my hero Nihlo

seriously
Sum quod credo

arith

Post by arith » Tue May 24, 2011 10:01 am

Nihlo wrote:What really would be cool for Atlas 20.0.0 are the locations of the partymembers in the maps, autogenerated maps and clickable Bosses which could link to Atlasloot or Journal.
Guess there is noone with enough skill and time around. The Journal is another stone on the Atlasgrave if there won't be new features for month.
Atlasloot will live a little bit longer.
Okay.... Let's see when will Atlas 20.0.0 will be out (although I think you might be talking about 2.0.0)

Actually I have one thought in my mind for a while. I think the Atlas' map auto-select feature to pick a dungeon map for me when I am in the outdoor doesn't make quite much sense.
But that's because Atlas was created to provide dungeon maps in the beginning.

I have been doing some Yatlas updating recently, and I am thinking about maybe to integrate some of Yatlas' feature into Atlas.
Some ideas like if I am fool around in Northern Stranglethorn, and if I am interested in looking at the BIG minimap (let's call it the satellite map?) rather than the WoW area map (I call it the sailing map), although Yatlas would be one of the best choice, but it's outdated for quite a long time. So if Atlas will show me the big satellite map and maybe also show the dungeon / battleground location, then it may be cool.

But it's all that Yatlas support. Adopting those features into Atlas seems no fun.

I know some players do suggest to integrate the BZ-created dungeon maps into Atlas, but I don't know, I am not planning to do it for now.