Future of Atlas

Talk about anything you want to.
Hegarol

Future of Atlas

Post by Hegarol » Tue May 11, 2010 1:26 am

Hey guys

you have probably all read the statement from Dan on the front page: www.atlasmod.com

The question now is what are we doing about this. I have a few suggestions:
1. Dan is gone, so we decide its time to let Atlas go. We have official maps now, and Atlas is not that popular anymore. Just look at the download numbers from Curse.
2. We all love Atlas too much to let it die. One of us will take over the Project Lead and a team of Atlas contributors from the forum will continue to develop Atlas through the Cataclysm era.
3. The Atlasloot team will be taken over Atlas. Its actually the same as 2, just that the Atlasloot team organizes everything. Does that mean Atlas and Atlasloot will merge? Probably not, as I am not sure it makes sense. Open for discussion.

Now its on you guys to decide.
Atlasloot Project Lead ; Atlasloot Forum

Daviesh

Re: Future of Atlas

Post by Daviesh » Tue May 11, 2010 3:59 am

In the option 3 scenario, it is just the AtlasLoot management team packaging up new releases and such. We would still love the updates from everyone has been doing on the SVN to continue, and we would keep an open SVN, forums and the like to facilitate things. More or less it would be status quo, but with someone else with the passwords to push the 'release' button.

Really, if Atlas is going to have a future, we will need to keep the language contributors issuing updates, deadca7 with his high quality maps and the contributions from EVERYONE with typos, corrections and bug reports.

Hegarol

Post by Hegarol » Tue May 11, 2010 4:07 am

Daviesh wrote:In the option 3 scenario, it is just the AtlasLoot management team packaging up new releases and such. We would still love the updates from everyone has been doing on the SVN to continue, and we would keep an open SVN, forums and the like to facilitate things. More or less it would be status quo, but with someone else with the passwords to push the 'release' button.

Really, if Atlas is going to have a future, we will need to keep the language contributors issuing updates, deadca7 with his high quality maps and the contributions from EVERYONE with typos, corrections and bug reports.
THIS!!
Atlasloot Project Lead ; Atlasloot Forum

Lothaer

Post by Lothaer » Tue May 11, 2010 4:09 am

Would be nice to see the 2 merged dont know how that would work, would be a MASSIVE undertaking im sure.
Titan Team Member.

Nihlo

Post by Nihlo » Tue May 11, 2010 10:54 am

I don't know. I'm not able to do Dan's Job and Dave would probably be the best man. Dan had great plans for an Atlas² with ingame generated maps, overlays, the possibility to draw and so on. The corpse of atlas² is still anywhere in the forum, would be a shame if noone continues at least updates.
[color=red]Dan Gilbert[/color] wrote:you're my hero Nihlo

seriously
Sum quod credo

Daviesh

Post by Daviesh » Tue May 11, 2010 8:09 pm

Lothaer wrote:Would be nice to see the 2 merged dont know how that would work, would be a MASSIVE undertaking im sure.
Depends what you mean by 'merged'. I don't think they should be bundled together, there are FAR more people these days that use AtlasLoot WITHOUT Atlas than with it. However, there are some possible code synergies that could happen. The bottom line is that in the future AtlasLoot will be independent of and particular map mod.

Personally speaking, I like the 'look and feel' of AtlasLoot in Atlas, so I would like to see Atlas go on in some form.

Dynaletik

Post by Dynaletik » Thu May 13, 2010 4:46 am

I don't want Atlas to die. ;)
So it would be nice if we would find a new "leader-who-presses-the-release-button". :)
Option 3 seems quite nice yes.

Deployed

Post by Deployed » Sat May 15, 2010 2:58 am

Regarding no. 1, I would like to point out that even though we have in-game maps for some (soon to be most) of the instances, we cannot select them as and when we want to. Any attempt to use the in-game maps and integrate Atlasloot would require someone to make an add-on that pulls the map data into a seperate window or a new map mod that improves map selection within the default interface. Either way, someone has to make a mod. Since we already have one in Atlas, I recommend that you guys stick with Atlas, but keep an open mind into simplifying things when the chance comes by.

In short;

Lothaer

Post by Lothaer » Sat May 15, 2010 5:32 am

Deployed wrote:Regarding no. 1, I would like to point out that even though we have in-game maps for some (soon to be most) of the instances, we cannot select them as and when we want to. Any attempt to use the in-game maps and integrate Atlasloot would require someone to make an add-on that pulls the map data into a seperate window or a new map mod that improves map selection within the default interface
i believe thats the general idea for AtlasLoot2.
Titan Team Member.

Nihlo

Post by Nihlo » Sat May 15, 2010 9:30 am

noone is gonna die here
[color=red]Dan Gilbert[/color] wrote:you're my hero Nihlo

seriously
Sum quod credo

Daviesh

Post by Daviesh » Sat May 15, 2010 1:06 pm

Lothaer wrote:i believe thats the general idea for AtlasLoot2.
Actually, it will be AtlasLoot 6 :-)

thandrenn

Post by thandrenn » Sat May 15, 2010 10:52 pm

I'd hate to see Atlas die. I still use it constantly. The ingame maps are useful, but not a replacement for what Atlas does. And if the download numbers are down, I'd say its because it hasn't been officially updated for Patch 3.3 (December 2009). It seems like there's enough contributors here plus with the AtlasLoot team helping out that it should be very possible to keep Atlas active.

Lothaer

Post by Lothaer » Sun May 16, 2010 1:34 am

yeah my unofficial update was only released on WoWUI, the next version that has Ruby Sanctum will be released across all 3 mod sites (wowui, wowi and curse) hopefully it will be released the day of the patch.
Titan Team Member.

Rowan

Post by Rowan » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:24 am

I must admit, that i'd hate to see Atlas go, however the only actual reason that I use atlas, is because of it's better interface for AtlasLoot, with the buttons and such, it requires much less scrolling around than the actual AtlasLoot mod itself, so if anything could be changed with AtlasLoot I probably wouldn't be using Atlas.

Insurgence

Post by Insurgence » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:44 pm

I registered just to post my thoughts. I've been using atlas since I first discovered addons (way back plain old WoW). I like atlas, even though its not as integrated into the wow Interface as I'd like (the main reason why I don't really use it for more than navigating AtlasLoot since there are now maps for a many new instances). As long as Atlas is around, I will be one to use it, but I also have to say with Blizzard releasing dungeon maps, Atlas is going to have a continuously shrinking user base. The only way I see that changing is if it is made as a full blown map replacement, with better functionality than the built in one.

On a side note, I have to give everyone involved in this a kudos and thumbs up and anything that doesn't cost my poor self money for keeping such an awesome mod(s) going. I would hate to see an Addon with the legacy that Atlas has disappear.