<<<Breaking News>>> "Dan we've got a problem"

Talk about anything you want to.
Nihlo

<<<Breaking News>>> "Dan we've got a problem"

Post by Nihlo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:00 am

I remember blue posts in which blizz confirmed that there won't be instance-maps ever. Hmm...well...they had never been good in holding promises. Probably there will be coords too,since there're player-dots. Well...after all this years...we become unemployed.
[color=red]Dan Gilbert[/color] wrote:you're my hero Nihlo

seriously
Sum quod credo

PiDion

Re: <<<Breaking News>>> "Dan we've got a problem"

Post by PiDion » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:38 am

Nah, i don't think we get unemployed. first off, i don't see any Bossnames there only icons where they are. the second thing is that the maps are in the standart Blizz style. I would never give up the minimap map style of atlas. Besides this Atlas could be converted to a addon that uses the New Blizzard instance map maybe.

@nihlo: Mal net den teufel an die wand "ALLES WIRD GUT" xD
2016 a Star Reborn...

Nihlo

Post by Nihlo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:00 pm

vllt hast du recht...aber ich hab annnnnnnnngssssssttttttttttttttttt^^
[color=red]Dan Gilbert[/color] wrote:you're my hero Nihlo

seriously
Sum quod credo

eternal2u

Post by eternal2u » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:37 am

all i got to say is

Atlasloot built into the atlas addon is win

i dont see that in the blizz one, and as stated above it will probably just help atlas update faster and easier

maqjav

Post by maqjav » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:28 am

Nice maps, but still I don't think it's a problem.

As the people said in the post before, the atlasmap offer much information than a simple map does.

Dan Gilbert
Developer

Post by Dan Gilbert » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:07 pm

I think it's great! I've been wanting Blizzard to offer instance maps since before I even made Atlas!

Just out of curiosity, are these in-game/live right now? I can't check myself (computer's in the shop and too busy at work anyway).

How comprehensive are they? Is there a map for every instance?

PiDion

Post by PiDion » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:30 pm

Dan Gilbert wrote:I think it's great! I've been wanting Blizzard to offer instance maps since before I even made Atlas!

Just out of curiosity, are these in-game/live right now? I can't check myself (computer's in the shop and too busy at work anyway).

How comprehensive are they? Is there a map for every instance?
they are on the PTR 3.1.0.
2016 a Star Reborn...

Yarx

Post by Yarx » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:13 pm

It appears to be Northrend instances only so far. No mention if they plan to expand this feature to Outland/Azeroth yet. This is a different take on instance maps than what Atlas provides anyways. As pointed out already, this is the standard Blizzard style versus the detailed maps we are used to so far. Also, the AtlasLoot companion addon is still unique in it's offering of information. The new instance maps in 3.1 do show boss markings via skulls, but it does not denote what the bosses names are, nor the many other NPC's of interest in many instances that Atlas documents, which to me is fine. Blizzard has always stated they will add functionality to the game that they feel adds value for the player base as a whole (even if it contradicts other statements about never added instance maps) :P , and let community created addons focus on the desires of individual - in this case Atlas :)

On the flip side, this new feature gives us access to data we have not previously had. the players coordinates in an instance. Before, we've just had to rely on knowledge of the instance layout, compare the mini-map to the atlas map, or just try and follow along on the map what area's you've covered so far. In some instances this is easy (Tempest Keep: The Eye), others can be less so (Uldaman). These are just examples but I think everyone has gotten lost in Uldaman at least once. Granted, I'm guessing the map location for these new instance maps are probably view specific. By that I mean for example Naxx (which is divided up into each quadrant) has a view for each quadrant, so I'm guessing to use their coordinates Atlas may have to splice up it's existing maps into the same manner so that coordinates correlate correctly?

Either way, this doesn't devalue what Atlas provides, if anything it will highlight it's usefulness and allows it to provide new functionality to us. I'm looking forward to it.

It does however, create more work for Dan, Daviesh and other contributors :twisted:

Dan Gilbert
Developer

Post by Dan Gilbert » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:09 pm

I wonder if that position data is available to the API?

Yarx

Post by Yarx » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:21 am

I'll be honest, I'd only assumed it'd be available via the API. But I don't see any reason why they would not make it available for addons to take advantage of.

Daviesh

Post by Daviesh » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:29 am

I'm sure it would be there as an undocumented change.

Even if Blizz roll out all the instances, there is room for an Atlas-style interface either in its present form or as an overlay on the new Blizzard maps.